Above all, don’t lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky, sometimes transliterated as Dostoevsky, was a Russian novelist, short story writer, essayist, and journalist.
Here is best Fyodor Dostoyevsky quotes collection
1. Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart.
The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on earth. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
2. To go wrong in one’s own way is better than to go right in someone else’s. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
3. What is hell? I maintain that it is the suffering of being unable to love. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
4. The darker the night, the brighter the stars. The deeper the grief, the closer is God! ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
5. I say let the world go to hell, but I should always have my tea. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
6. Man only likes to count his troubles; he doesn’t calculate his happiness. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
7. I love mankind, he said, “but I find to my amazement that the more I love mankind as a whole, the less I love man in particular. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
8. We sometimes encounter people, even perfect strangers, who begin to interest us at first sight, somehow suddenly, all at once, before a word has been spoken. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
9. People speak sometimes about the “bestial” cruelty of man, but that is terribly unjust and offensive to beasts, no animal could ever be so cruel as a man, so artfully, so artistically cruel. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
10. It takes something more than intelligence to act intelligently. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
11. Talking nonsense is the sole privilege mankind possesses over the other organisms. It’s by talking nonsense that one gets to the truth! I talk nonsense, therefore I’m human. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
12. The mystery of human existence lies not in just staying alive, but in finding something to live for. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
13. But how could you live and have no story to tell? ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
15. Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
16. Nothing in this world is harder than speaking the truth, nothing easier than flattery. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
17. To love someone means to see them as God intended them. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
18. Man is a mystery. It needs to be unraveled, and if you spend your whole life unravelling it, don’t say that you’ve wasted time.
I am studying that mystery because I want to be a human being. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
19. If you wish to glimpse inside a human soul and get to know a man, don’t bother analyzing his ways of being silent, of talking, of weeping, of seeing how much he is moved by noble ideas; you will get better results if you just watch him laugh.
If he laughs well, he’s a good man. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Discover more wonderful topic
20. I am a dreamer. I know so little of real life that I just can’t help re-living such moments as these in my dreams, for such moments are something I have very rarely experienced.
I am going to dream about you the whole night, the whole week, the whole year. I feel I know you so well that I couldn’t have known you better if we’d been friends for twenty years.
You won’t fail me, will you?
Only two minutes, and you’ve made me happy forever.
Yes, happy. Who knows, perhaps you’ve reconciled me with myself, resolved all my doubts. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
21. When I woke up it seemed to me that some snatch of a tune I had known for a long time,
I had heard somewhere before but had forgotten, a melody of great sweetness, was coming back to me now.
It seemed to me that it had been trying to emerge from my soul all my life, and only now. ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
22. If and when you fall in love, may you be happy with her.
I don’t need to wish her anything, for she’ll be happy with you.
May your sky always be clear, may your dear smile always be bright and happy, and may you be forever blessed for that moment of bliss and happiness which you gave to another lonely and grateful heart.
Isn’t such a moment sufficient for the whole of one’s life? ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
23. As a nation we should look more carefully at how our fear of future acts of terrorism is undermining our quality of life. ― Bruce H. Lipton
24. Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got. ― Robert Brault
25. It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then. ― Lewis Carroll
26. If you look at what you have in life, you’ll always have more. If you look at what you don’t have in life, you’ll never have enough. — Oprah Winfrey