Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life. A good book can teach you about the world and about yourself.
You learn more than how to read better; you also learn more about life.
You become wiser. Not just more knowledgeable, books that provide nothing but information can produce that result.
But wiser, in the sense that you are more deeply aware of the great and enduring truths of human life. ― Mortimer J. Adler
The great authors were great readers, and one way to understand them is to read the books they read. ― Mortimer J. Adler
A good book can teach you about the world and about yourself.
You learn more than how to read better; you also learn more about life. You become wiser. ― Mortimer J. Adler
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but how many can get through to you. ― Mortimer J. Adler
Television, radio, and all the sources of amusement and information that surround us in our daily lives are also artificial props.
They can give us the impression that our minds are active, because we are required to react to stimuli from the outside.
But the power of those external stimuli to keep us going is limited. They are like drugs.
We grow used to them, and we continuously need more and more of them.
Eventually, they have little or no effect. Then, if we lack resources within ourselves, we cease to grow intellectually, morally, and spiritually.
And we we cease to grow, we begin to die. ― Mortimer J. Adler
Mortimer Jerome Adler (December 28, 1902 – June 28, 2001) was an American philosopher, educator, encyclopedist, and popular author. As a philosopher he worked within the Aristotelian and Thomistic traditions. He lived for long stretches in New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, and San Mateo, California.
Let us Make you Rich/ Secrets of Success
Together we can make rich by learning secrets of success men.
Here is a famous Mortimer J. Adler quotes collection
1. True freedom is impossible without a mind made free by discipline. ― Mortimer J. Adler
2. The person who says he knows what he thinks but cannot express it usually does not know what he thinks. ― Mortimer J. Adler
3. To agree without understanding is inane. To disagree without understanding is impudent. ― Mortimer J. Adler
4. I suspect that most of the individuals who have religious faith are content with blind faith.
They feel no obligation to understand what they believe. They may even wish not to have their beliefs disturbed by thought. ― Mortimer J. Adler
Do you like Mortimer J. Adler quotes?
5. The complexities of adult life get in the way of the truth. ― Mortimer J. Adler
6. The ability to retain a child’s view of the world with at the same time a mature understanding of what it means to retain it,
is extremely rare – and a person who has these qualities is likely to be able to contribute something really important to our thinking. ― Mortimer J. Adler
7. All genuine learning is active, not passive. ― Mortimer J. Adler
8. All genuine learning is active, not passive. It involves the use of the mind, not just the memory.
It is a process of discovery, in which the student is the main agent, not the teacher.
9. Is it too much to expect from the schools that they train their students not only to interpret but to criticize; that is,
to discriminate what is sound from error and falsehood,
to suspend judgement if they are not convinced,
or to judge with reason if they agree or disagree? ― Mortimer J. Adler
Which Mortimer J. Adler quote is the best quote?
10. Love can be unselfish, in the sense of being benevolent and generous, without being selfless. ― Mortimer J. Adler
11. Imaginative literature primarily pleases rather than teaches. It is much easier to be pleased than taught, but much harder to know why one is pleased. Beauty is harder to analyze than truth. ― Mortimer J. Adler
13. Education is the sum total of one’s experience, and the purpose of higher education is to widen our experiences beyond the circumscribed existence or our own daily lives. ― Mortimer J. Adler
14. You have to allow a certain amount of time in which you are doing nothing in order to have things occur to you,
to let your mind think. ― Mortimer J. Adler
Can you share your Mortimer J. Adler quotes?
15. Philosophy is everybody’s business. ― Mortimer J. Adler
16. All books will become light in proportion as you find light in them. ― Mortimer J. Adler
17. Ultimately, we wish the joy of perfect union with the person we love. ― Mortimer J. Adler
18. The ultimate end of education is happiness or a good human life,
a life enriched by the possession of every kind of good, by the enjoyment of every type of satisfaction. ― Mortimer J. Adler
19. If you never ask yourself any questions about the meaning of a passage,
you cannot expect the book to give you any insight you do not already possess. ― Mortimer J. Adler
Can you share our Mortimer J. Adler quotes?
i20. The truly great books are the few books that are over everybody’s head all of the time. ― Mortimer J. Adler
21. Ultimately there can be no disagreement between history, science, philosophy, and theology.
Where there is disagreement, there is either ignorance or error. ― Mortimer J. Adler